Sustainable product design is the method of creating new products whilst considering the environmental, economic and social impacts these products will have from initial idea through design, production and to the end of the product life cycle.
Key principles of sustainable product design include:
- Selecting the right materials: Choosing renewable or recyclable materials that can reduce the environmental impact of a product is a key factor.
- Energy efficiency: Designing products that are energy-efficient and use renewable energy sources can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and conserve natural resources.
- Durable products: Creating durable products that are repairable, and reusable can reduce waste and promote sustainable consumption.
- Minimal packaging: Reducing the amount of packaging used and choosing eco-friendly packaging materials can minimise waste and conserve resources.
- Life cycle: Evaluating the environmental impact of a product throughout its entire life cycle, from raw material extraction to disposal, can help identify opportunities for improvement and reduce negative impacts.
Sustainable Product Design Company
We approach every project with the mindset to make the product as sustainable as possible, whether that is through local manufacturing or use of natural materials. Two years ago we decided that we were going to take a different direction and focus less on profit and more on making a difference in the world. We also wanted a way to openly quantify this new way of thinking and so we have started on the path to becoming a B Corporation accredited business. We have a long journey ahead of us to reach this goal, but we are committed to making a difference for our clients, their brands, our staff as well as the planet.